Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mama's got a brand new gig

I am proud to announce that I am the new assistant for Mur Lafferty's brilliant podcast I Should Be Writing! I've said it before, I'll say it again: if you have any desire to write fiction, this is a podcast to which You Should Be Listening.

I'll be writing the show notes and "proof listening" for Mur, so if there are any screwups in the show (un-censored expletives and the like), it's now my fault, not hers. But I get to work on a project that I totally believe in... and I get a free t-shirt! Viewers of Pinky and the Brain know that humans will do anything for a free t-shirt.

Do you have any favorite podcasts? I'm also a fan of Writing Excuses and the Barnes & Noble Meet the Writers podcasts... and for non-writing themed listening, I'm all over the Savage Love podcast (if you don't already know what this is, don't click that link until you've read the Wikipedia entry for Dan Savage, because it might not be the sort of thing you're interested in listening to) and also the Sesame Street video podcasts for my daughter.

I also have some French language podcasts (One Thing In a French Day is fun), some podcast audiobooks (Mur's Heaven was the first I listened to, and I loved it), and NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!. Have I mentioned that I love my iPod? LOVE.

Tomorrow: I meet James Ellroy,
and profanity ensues.

10 comments:

  1. Wooohoo! Sounds great! Congratulations!

    I don't really listen to podcasts, but that one sounds really interesting! I might have to check it out one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    I listen to Diane Rehm's podcast and I watch Rachel Maddow's video podcast.
    I use dto listen to the Two-minute German podcasts but there were only about 7 of them and I've only learned about 3 words.

    I had no idea that Dan Savage has a podcast. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! I don't think I've ever heard of this before. I'll tune in. Congrats!

    And I love that Pinky and the Brain episode...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I never listened to any writing podcasts, but you'll have a new listener here.
    Also for Dan Savage, who I didn't know had a podcast!

    P.S. Your comment form is nice and easy to use, unlike some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you! It sounds like the perfect match! I'll look forward to hearing more about it, and thanks for introducing me to Dan Savage. I've got a thing for gay guys.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Score! Congrats on the new gig! I've been a fan since I first started looking up Writer's Podcasts, and would have totally threw my hat in the ring for the job if I hadn't just had my first child (on 9/21 -- I'm currently typing with one hand 'cause she's sleeping in my other one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I know Mur will really appreciate the help. As far as other podcasts, I also recommend Adventures in Sci Fi Publishing. It mainly features interviews with lots of amazing authors, and is a great way to get some advice from the pros!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Congrats! I'm so happy for you.

    I have a one hour commute to work and one hour back every day. That's 10 hours per week of my time where I can listen to podcasts and books with undivided attention (except for the road, of course!). Thanks for those links and suggestions. I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete