Friday, September 2, 2011

No one cares about your beautiful language.

Beautiful letters on a beautiful girl.

Back at the end of June, I took yet another Grub Street class with author Steve Almond. I just today found some of my notes:
  • You can't write scared.
  • Inhibition = self-consciousness = that which ruins any art.
...and...
  • The reader doesn't really want your beautiful language. The reader wants the truth.
Our friend Kurt seems to agree, using even more brutal language himself:
"I think it can be tremendously refreshing if a creator of literature has something on his mind other than the history of literature so far. Literature should not disappear up its own asshole, so to speak."
- Kurt Vonnegut, Palm Sunday
Write what's real. The language will follow.

In other news, I'm solo parenting this week. Wish me luck...

I don't normally Tweet from the Bible, but you gotta like this one:

Like I said. Write the truth, and the language will follow.
Even in translation.

1 comment:

  1. I find it difficult to read writing that seems like it is trying to impress with the words rather than what the words are supposed to be conveying.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete